Applied Development is proud to be a veteran-owned business. Time in the military helps veterans develop the necessary skill set to be successful entrepreneurs. In fact, in the United States, there are currently 2.52 million businesses that are majority-owned by veterans, making up about 9.1% of all U.S. businesses. These businesses employ over five million individuals and account for $195 billion in annual payroll.
For veterans who are just getting started in entrepreneurial roles, having access to government and private resources can make all the difference. We have compiled a list of five of the best resources for veteran-owned businesses.
Top 5 Resources for Veteran-Owned Businesses
Whether you are looking for funding, information on government contracting, or training programs, these five resources can help you get started:
- Small Business Association (SBA) – The SBA offers a variety of programs for veterans preparing to open businesses. Services include business training, matching with a local mentor, and connecting with local resources.
- S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) – The VA can help set veterans up for success from the time they become civilians again. They offer training and information on securing government contracts as well as local resources and support.
- State of Maryland Government – Maryland veteran-owned businesses can get support directly from the state. There are tax credits, project opportunities, and funding available specifically for these businesses. If you are not a Maryland resident, be sure to check your state’s information for veteran-owned business resources.
- Veteran and Military Business Owners Association (VAMBOA) – VAMBOA is not a government-backed entity but it is free to join. Their mission is to “ensure the development, growth, and prosperity of Veteran Business Owners, Service Disabled Veteran Owners, and Military Business Owners of all sizes worldwide.”
- National Veteran Small Business Coalition (NVSBC) – Though the NVSBC does cost to join, it is a non-profit organization that endeavors to keep its costs low and connect veteran-owned businesses with government program policy leaders.
Certifications for Veteran-Owned Businesses
Government organizations offer a variety of certifications for veteran-owned businesses. People searching to work specifically with veteran-owned businesses will be able to better seek out your business this way. Additionally, these certifications may place you at a higher advantage for securing government contracts.
Some of the most common certifications include:
- SBA 8a Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business
- VA Certified Veteran Enterprise Veteran-Owned Small Business
- Veteran-Owned Small Business Enterprise Program (specific to Maryland-owned businesses)
Applying for as many certifications as you qualify for is a great way to boost your chances of business success and get your veteran-owned business on the map.
Thank You to Our American Veterans
We are so grateful for all of the military men and women who have fought for our freedom and safety!
About Applied Development
Applied Development is a SBA 8(a), service-disabled veteran-owned small business serving government agencies and private companies across the country. If you have questions or would like to set up a consultation to learn more about our diversability services, give us a call at 410.571.4016 or contact us online.